Thursday 27 December 2012

Paris Day 2

Well this morning, we went shopping! I guess you can't go to Paris and not go shopping! I bought a shirt and some nail polish! Another blue, a sparkly cover, and a clear cote. Nail polish is much better priced here than in Canada... Kiko! <3 Then we went to the Louvre! Le Louvre! The triangle museum! It was beautiful! I had my camera out and I fit right in with all the Asian tourists, snapping pictures of everything! The Louvre is actually an old castle. We started by walking through the base of it before we went into the chambers and special rooms with marble staircases and gold ceilings with paintings and statues.





We saw the Egypt part of it first for Baptiste and he really liked that! He knew a lot of facts about it too. Like which God was which, and what each statue was. Sometimes he'd tell me to take pictures of things and other times he's show me things and tell me about them, then I offer to take the picture and he said "Yep." A lot of it, I had already seen before. Obviously not the exact things, but I've studied Egypt in school before and a week before I left for France, I saw a special Egypt exhibit in Seattle. It was still nice to see it though, and I loved seeing Baptiste so happy and excited about something. He really enjoyed it and that made it worth while.



The best part of the Egypt part was seeing the real mummy, something I haven't seen before! It was kind of weird... that was a 1000-something-old dead person wrapped up... in a glass box... and a crowd of people around it.



Then we saw the part of the Museum with all the statues! It was my favourite part. I found them all so beautiful and stunning. I couldn't imagine someone carving it all out of stone. I really couldn't, that was art at it's finest.






I have pictures of the beautiful ceilings in the castle, but due to a rule, no flash photography, they didn't really come out nicely. You're better to Google pictures or just see them in person.... honestly, everything in the Louvre looks 1 million times better in person than in a picture.

We also saw the famous paintings! So beautiful. So many! Long hallways and rooms just covered with paintings on the walls. Here are some of my favourites. Once again, no flash = bad quality.





Can you believe the crowd there was to view this tiny (still amazing) painting? She smiles and her eyes follow you everywhere! They had signs giving directions on how to find her throughout the castle. Voici le Mona Lisa!




After the Mona Lisa, we left the Louvre, from outside, we walked to the Champ d'Elysee and I saw the Eiffle Tower from a closer, but still far distance. Paris is really beautiful at night. We walked through the Christmas market at the Champ d'Elysee and I swear my feet were killing me at the end. I didn't get good pictures of the Arc de Triomphe beause everyone was exhausted and just focussed on getting home and I'm pretty sure we will be seeing it again.

2 things I learned today:

First: Navigating the Louvre is like navigating a maze,
Second: Navigating the metro is worse.











No comments:

Post a Comment