Saturday 29 December 2012

4th and Final Day in Paris... for now

Eiffel Towerrrrrrrr!!!!
I just love it. I just love it. It's really beautiful. And big. I wanted to go to the top, but the lines were crazy long. So I admired from below. And took enough photos for the Eiffel Tower to have it's own album on Facebook. Unfortunately, due to the fatty French food and my inability as an exchange student to stop eating it, I look a little pudgy in the photos... But ignore that and look at me being happy at seeing the big, beautiful tower I've been waiting to see since I arrived!






We then took a bus through Paris to revisit the Notre Dame, this time the inside! We waited in line for only 15minutes and I bought 10 (for 2E) of those little Eiffel Tower keychains because I just love the Eiffel Tower so much. Myabe next I'll buy one of the flashing ones!

The inside of Notre Dame was stunning. Breathtaking. I would have preferred it to be a little more quiet but there wasn't that much noise when you consider the number of people in there. You could still hear the choir recordings playing in the background. I sat down in the benches and prayed and admired and took a couple photos too. It was huge inside! And there was so much beauty inside too. The stained glass windows, the dramatic paintings, the candels. I'm certain that Notre Dame is one of my favourite places in Paris.








We then spent the rest of the afternoon walking around town, seeing the streets of Paris and the smaller, still marvelous sites to see. The first picture is of an old building where people used to go and take their baths and showers back in the middle ages.... once a week! Eww!





Then we strolled by the Notre Dame one last time and I got the night time pictures!



Paris is a different world at night. Things are so beautiful with all the lights added to things. You can see one sight in the day time and then see it again in the evening and it's the same as seeing 2 different sites. Paris, beautiful by day and by night.

Oh and 2 missing stories from before...

First. On Christmas Eve, when I was in the church, I noticed there were all these statues carved into the walls, but every statues' head had been ripped off. Here, on the walls, were all these people doing different actions, with missing heads! I asked the aunt who brought me what happened to the heads and she told me it was a result of the War of Religion that these heads had been broken. Interesting! History, and the length of history too, presenting itself right there in front of me! It's sometimes easy to forget just how old and ancient France, and all of Europe, is. That really put it in perspective for me.

Second. Yesterday, when we were shopping, I saw this old man dressed in an old black suit, who was just standing on the sidewalk. There was something about him that looked a little out of place but I didn't get a good look at him for more description because the second I looked at him and made eye contact, he started shouting weird things at me and wiggling his fingers toward me... was he cursing me? Was he telling me something important? Was he banning darkness and evil from me? I don't know... It startled me and I ran to catch up with my group within 3 seconds! No one else seemed to see it. That was really weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment